Friday 3 April 2009

Tasks completed today - not as many as yesterday, but then I haven't been sewing as much today.

  1. Finished of a 'Mrs' Cute Monster to go with the one I did yesterday

  2. Finished the top of Jo's quilt as far as I can

  3. Unpacked my ceramics delivery

  4. Watered the plants!




MR & MRS ... now wasn't that a TV programme??



Further to my posting yesterday, I decided to stitch out a 'Mrs' Monster in cute pink colours. As I thought, I wasn't at all disappointed by the outcome - quite the opposite in fact.

The darker colour on her looks blue in the photograph, but it is actually purple.

I think she looks just as cute as 'Mr' Cute Monster ... don't you think that they make a fine pair together?

In hindsight, I should have flipped the Mrs so she was facing the other way - just to distinguish her a little more from her mate.

Both of these are available for sale as PE bags immediately or I can do them onto towels / facecloths etc. Due to the amount of embroidery, they are unsuitable for baby bibs.





OFF-CENTRE LOG CABIN



Spot the difference!


When I first looked at a picture of a quilt made with this technique, I just couldn't work it out at all. I mean, if you put thick strips down one side and thin strips down the other - how can it make a square??

I must have pondered the question for about 40 mins, and drawn it out on paper twice. But I kept coming back to the same conclusion - my drawings were square (well as square as my drawings can be).


When the penny dropped, I felt so stoooooopid! I realised that I kept looking at it from the point of view of the log cabin that I had just completed, which was all central - this technique isn't central. You sew thick strips down two sides and thin strips down the other two sides - wayhey that's how it makes a square - the centre square isn't in the centre when you've finished! LOL.

By the way, for those who haven't noticed, the one on the left shows thick pink strips, whilst the one on the right shows thin pink strips.

The picture on the left shows all of the 16 squares sewn together. It gives the effect, however I'm sorry that my photography isn't as it should be (that's the problem of not having a digital camera - all pics have been taken using my mobile phone)


The picture on the right is a close up of the centre four squares.


If you would like more information on sewing / quilting techniques please check out Jo's website : http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/ .... believe me, you won't be disappointed after attending one of Jo's workshops.



Tasks for tomorrow : -




  1. Get up and see what the day brings! LOL




No comments:

Post a Comment